I'm not sure why I've been feeling such a strong impression to share this...the spirit I'm sure. I've been reconnecting with old friends from college and high school on Facebook (and here) lately. It's interesting to see where people are in their lives...and how different they are. Some have changed for the better. Some that I thought were not very 'active' members of the church have turned things around and have been sealed in the temple and are very 'active' in their callings and church activities.
Others have changed in a different way. They've gone the other direction. Friends who I went to church with, who shared their testimonies with me, who knew the plan and were going to stick to it...they fell off the path. It breaks my heart. I wonder what made things change for them. I'm sure for some it was a very gradual thing...miss church once in awhile, stop paying tithing, get new friends who don't share the same values. I'll admit, I haven't always been on the straight and narrow. But I'm sure glad I got back on it. I'm having a hard time getting these people out of my mind. Wondering what they think the purpose of life is...without the gospel.
A talk that kept coming to my mind was the April 2008 Conference talk by our Prophet, President Monson. I'll admit, I'm not usually good at remembering things our leaders tell us at Conference (sometimes I'm asleep or trying to keep the kids quite or happy..whatever). But for some reason this one stuck with me. I just loved it. 
Here's the quote from President Monson's talk:
Throughout the journey along the pathway of life, there are casualties. Some depart from the road markers which point toward life eternal, only to discover the detour chosen ultimately leads to a dead end. Indifference, carelessness, selfishness, and sin all take their costly toll in human lives.
Change for the better can come to all. Over the years we have issued appeals to the less active, the offended, the critical, the transgressor—to come back. “Come back and feast at the table of the Lord, and taste again the sweet and satisfying fruits of fellowship with the Saints.”
In the private sanctuary of one’s own conscience lies that spirit, that determination to cast off the old person and to measure up to the stature of true potential. In this spirit, we again issue that heartfelt invitation: Come back. We reach out to you in the pure love of Christ and express our desire to assist you and to welcome you into full fellowship. To those who are wounded in spirit or who are struggling and fearful, we say, Let us lift you and cheer you and calm your fears. Take literally the Lord’s invitation, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”










9 comments:
Wow, Carrie. I am so lucky to be your friend. :0) We have a brother that is going through some rough times, and it's sad, difficult, and also frustrating to watch...because it doesn't have to be this way! It's sooo different living a life with the purposes of the gospel, than trying to make as much of your life on your own. But, how to convince anyone of that??...hard. Having a change of heart is most definitely the most significant miracle that has ever happened to me. I just pray for those in need to finally feel the DESIRE to "come back"...I think that's the most difficult step.
Anyway...thank you for sharing your thoughts...I am now starting my day more grateful for our sweet prophet, and reminded of my love for my savior. And, hopefully I'll be a better person myself. :0) Love you!! (and Happpy Valentine's Day!) :0)
Awww Carrie, I miss you. You are a good person and I feel so lucky to be your friend. I'm sad we don't ever get to see each other, but I love that we can still stay in touch.
This is an awesome post. I don't feel like I am always on the path. I guess I am still on the path, but sometimes I forget to watch where I'm going and I loose focus. So even though I haven't "fallen away," we all look around once in awhile. So this quote applies to all of us. Well, all of me anyway. Thanks for the heads up and helping me re-focus. Love you tons!
More than half of Pete's brothers are not active and it's hard. Thanks for the quote. That is awesome. I don't even remember that part. I guess we each remember different stuff, huh? You are so good to be thinking of your friends.
I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks, and then the week after that!
I loved this post. As you know alot of our friends lately are struggling. It is so sad to see it happen. It makes me so happy to have the gospel and my family in my life.
Thanks for the post. I feel the same way with all this "reconnecting." It's interesting to see where people have been led to, some like myself and some on different paths.
I'm home from church today b/c Laney is sick so after reading your post I feel spiritually fed for the day. Thanks!
I needed to hear this thought today...not that I'm falling off the wagon, but it's always good to know that peace is immediately found when we turn to God... Thanks, Carrie!
Thanks Carrie. Thanks for the inspirational boost. Like Karen, it was just what I needed today. Bless you for following the spirit. -Jeana
What a great post Carr. I love that you wrote from your heart and included quotes from the Prophet. I didn't remember that either, but I'm glad i got to read it. Love you.
Post a Comment