Owen loves to point at things...with his middle finger.


Hello Little Birdie!
We went to California last week for a quick getaway. A lot of Jeff's family live there. Since Jeff snowplows in the winter, we had to wait til we knew the weather would be nice for several days in a row. We ended up being gone for a week (although we did spend 2 days driving).
Playing with cousins is always fun.


Oh look, Jeff has a little birdie friend too.

Right before we went out of town we got Benson a new car seat. It's a 5 point harness booster, so he can use it a long time. It's called the Britax Frontier. I love it. It's quite expensive, but for good reason. It's the best and safest 5-point harness booster out there. A lot of these have a weight limit of 40 lbs for the 5-point harness. It's best to keep your kids in a 5PH for as long as possible. Benson is already 33 lbs. The Britax Frontier has a 5PH weight limit of 80 lbs. So they can stay in it a lot longer. Since we got that for Benson, we upgraded Owen to Benson's carseat, the Britax Boulevard. We decided to put him forward facing for the long car ride. He really liked it.

While we were in California Benson was exposed to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Here are a few facts that I've learned about HFMD (from the nurse at the Pediatrician's office).
Kids between 6 months & 4 years are most likely to get it (it's unusual for adults & older kids to get it).
HFMD is very contagious.
When you get it you are contagious for 1-3 days and will usually have a low-grade fever.
You don't show any rashes until 3-6 days after you get it, so by then you're not contagious anymore.
So, it's a lot like chickenpox...you don't know you have it, but you're spreading it to someone else.
You don't always get rashes/sores on your hands, feet, and mouth.
30% of kids have it start on their buttocks.
Benson's started on his bum and I thought it was just a weird diaper rash, but a couple days later he had a rash on his legs then his arms. After I found out it was HFMD I checked his mouth and he has a couple coldsore type sores in his mouth. Nothing seems to bother him, so he has a minor case of it. I just hate telling people he has HFMD. I feel like I'm telling them he's a leper or something. Owen hasn't shown any signs of it yet, so he didn't get it.
Here's Benson giving a goodbye kiss to his cousin Laney. Luckily Laney didn't get HFMD.

Waiting to go home.

Bye Grandma

Owen loves to wave bye-bye.

We had such a good time. My sis-in-law, April, took some pictures of the boys while we were there too. She is so talented. I can't wait to put up some new pictures in the house.
Playing with cousins is always fun.


Oh look, Jeff has a little birdie friend too.

Right before we went out of town we got Benson a new car seat. It's a 5 point harness booster, so he can use it a long time. It's called the Britax Frontier. I love it. It's quite expensive, but for good reason. It's the best and safest 5-point harness booster out there. A lot of these have a weight limit of 40 lbs for the 5-point harness. It's best to keep your kids in a 5PH for as long as possible. Benson is already 33 lbs. The Britax Frontier has a 5PH weight limit of 80 lbs. So they can stay in it a lot longer. Since we got that for Benson, we upgraded Owen to Benson's carseat, the Britax Boulevard. We decided to put him forward facing for the long car ride. He really liked it.

While we were in California Benson was exposed to Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Here are a few facts that I've learned about HFMD (from the nurse at the Pediatrician's office).
Kids between 6 months & 4 years are most likely to get it (it's unusual for adults & older kids to get it).
HFMD is very contagious.
When you get it you are contagious for 1-3 days and will usually have a low-grade fever.
You don't show any rashes until 3-6 days after you get it, so by then you're not contagious anymore.
So, it's a lot like chickenpox...you don't know you have it, but you're spreading it to someone else.
You don't always get rashes/sores on your hands, feet, and mouth.
30% of kids have it start on their buttocks.
Benson's started on his bum and I thought it was just a weird diaper rash, but a couple days later he had a rash on his legs then his arms. After I found out it was HFMD I checked his mouth and he has a couple coldsore type sores in his mouth. Nothing seems to bother him, so he has a minor case of it. I just hate telling people he has HFMD. I feel like I'm telling them he's a leper or something. Owen hasn't shown any signs of it yet, so he didn't get it.
Here's Benson giving a goodbye kiss to his cousin Laney. Luckily Laney didn't get HFMD.

Waiting to go home.

Bye Grandma

Owen loves to wave bye-bye.

We had such a good time. My sis-in-law, April, took some pictures of the boys while we were there too. She is so talented. I can't wait to put up some new pictures in the house.











11 comments:
so fun! - except for the hfmd - That is pretty funny about Owen and his middle finger :) he is looking so much older! What a cutie. hope Benson is better -like the kiss picture - good blackmail for his later years :) Miss you guys! P.S. Lauren - obedient? hmmm ya working on that one (I am picky about what I post...) ha ha ha :)
Funny! And what fun to get away for a little trip! We are too far away from anyone these days to have a quick trip!
BAHHHHHHH hahahahahaha....Laughed so hard about the little birdie! And, totally thought..."Wait...Jeff...must've got it from his dad" And read about Jeff's little birdie friend...totally laughed out loud. :0)
Cali looks fun! I'm excited for fun outside weather again! Bummer about hfmd! Hopefully everyone feel really well soon! :0)
That little birdie is hilarious! What a funny kid. My sisters kids got hfmd all at the same time and were horribly sick, with major sores in their mouths. at the time t seriously seemed like they were little lepers walking around :) Hey I have been thinking about people from college a lot lately. I just friended Kirsten Rash on facebook, and then for some reason I started thinking about Jen Venable. Do you know whatever happened to her? Just wondering.
I too loved the "little birdie". Kids are hilarious. I am glad you guys had a fun trip to California, and that the HFMD didn't turn out to be too bad. That's so crazy that he caught it. I had a student one year that had it, but luckily he didn't spread through the class.
P.S. We need to get together again; it's been awhile. Are you available in the next week or so?
I had to bring Glade in and show him your funny post. Brockston got HFMD a couple of years ago too but not too bad either...but just like you said...a little embarassing. I don't like the fact that it's called a disease. I think it's funny that you said "buttocks." We call it a butt! Unless we are trying to be polite...then it's bum.
I LOVE Owen's birdie! Don't teach him the correct way to point either. Besides it looks like by Jeff's example that he won't learn the right way anyways!
Sorry about Benny's HFMD but I'm happy we got to see you guys a little bit!
Oh the boys are getting so big, and they are so adorable. That is so funny about Owen's middle finger!
So how is Benson now? Is it all cleared up? What do you do for it?
Love the little birdie. The big one, not so cute. Owen is getting so big!
Now that "the disease" is gone...we should go swimming.
You need a close-up of that birdie to scrap! And I guess we all know who he got that one from! I need to get a shot of Jonas's point, with the 'normal' finger. I'm glad Owen didn't get it. Jonas had a fever again last night. I'll have to keep my eye on him. I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW. We're going to have so much fun. Did you print off some pics? If you need to send them up here, either Wal-mart would be fine. The Ammon one is closer to me, but the IF one is closer to the hotel we'll be at. YIPPEE!
Post a Comment